VK (VKontakte; Russian: ВКонта́кте, meaning InContact) is a Russian online social media and social networking service. It is available in several languages but vk sever безплатно is especially popular among Russian-speaking users. VK allows users to message each vk sever безплатно publicly or privately, to create groups, public pages and events, share and tag images, audio and video, and to play browser-based games. It is based in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
As of March 2018[update], VK had at least 477 million accounts. VK is ranked 14 (as of March 2018) in Alexa's global Top 500 sites.
It is the most popular website in Russia. According to SimilarWeb, VK is the 9th most popular website in the world. As of March 2018, VK also ranked as the most popular social networking website in Belarus, Ukraine and Kazakhstan in addition to Russia.
2006–2008: launch and rapid growth
VKontakte was incorporated on 19 January 2007 as a Russian limited liability company.
Founder Pavel Durov launched VKontakte for beta testing in September 2006, having just graduated from St Petersburg State University. The following month, the domain name vkontakte.ru was registered. User registration was initially limited to within university circles vk sever безплатно by invitation, but the site still grew quickly.
In February 2007 the site reached a vk sever безплатно base of over 100,000 and was recognized as the second largest player in Russia's nascent social network market.
In the same month, the site was subjected to a severe DDoS attack, which briefly put it vk sever безплатно. The vk sever безплатно base reached 1 million in July 2007, and 10 million in April 2008.
In December 2008 VK overtook rival Odnoklassniki as Russia's most popular social networking service.
2009–2012: public access
Founder and CEO Pavel Durov owned 20% of shares (although vk sever безплатно had majority voting power through proxy votes), and a trio of Russian-Israeli investors, Vyacheslav Mirilashvili (Mikhael Mirilashvili's son) and Lev Leviev, owned 60%, 10%, and 10% respectively. The original founders then sold a stake of 39.99% to Mail.ru Group (formerly Digital Sky Technologies).
On 29 May 2012 Mail.ru Group announced that it has decided to yield control of the company vk sever безплатно Durov by offering him the voting rights on its shares.
Combined with Durov's personal 12% stake, this gave vk sever безплатно 52% vk sever безплатно the votes.
2013–2014: share changes, IPO cancellation, Mail.ru Group ownership
In April 2013, the Mirilashvili family sold its 40% share in VK to United Capital Partners for $1.12 billion, while Lev Leviev sold his 8% share in the same deal, giving United Capital Partners 48% ownership. In January 2014, VK's founder Pavel Durov sold his 12% stake in the company to Ivan Tavrin, the CEO of MegaFon, which is vk sever безплатно by Alisher Usmanov.
Following vk sever безплатно deal, Usmanov and his allies controlled around 52% of the company. Shortly thereafter, the CEO of Megafon, sold his 12% stake to Mail.ru, thus allowing mail.ru to consolidate its controlling stake of 52% in VK.
On April 1, 2014, Durov submitted his resignation to the board; at first, due to the fact the company confirmed he had resigned, it was believed to be related to the Ukrainian crisis which started in February of the same year. However, Durov himself claimed it was an April Fool's Joke on April 3, 2014. On April 21, 2014, Durov was dismissed as CEO, claiming he failed to withdraw his letter of resignation a month earlier. Durov then claimed the company had been effectively taken over by Vladimir Putin's political faction, suggesting his dismissal was the result of both his refusal to hand over personal details of users to federal law vk sever безплатно and his refusal to hand over the personal details of people who were members of a VKontakte group dedicated to the Euromaidan protest movement. Durov then left Russia and stated that he had "no plans to go back" and that "the country is incompatible with Internet business at the moment".
On September 16, 2014, the Mail.ru group bought the remaining 48% stake of VK from United Capital Partners (UCP) for $1.5 billion, thus becoming the sole proprietor of the social network.
In May 2017, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko signed a decree to impose a ban on Mail.ru and its widely used social networks including VKontakte and Odnoklassniki as part of its continued sanctions on Russia for its annexation of Crimea and involvement in the War in Donbass.Reporters Without Borders condemned the ban, calling it vk sever безплатно "disproportionate measure that seriously undermines the Ukrainian people’s right to information and freedom of expression." VK closed its office in Ukraine's capital Kiev mid-June 2017.
As with most social networks, the site's core functionality is based around private messaging and sharing photos, status updates and links with friends.
VK also has tools for managing online communities and celebrity pages. The site allows its users to upload, search and stream media content, such as videos and music. VK features an advanced search engine, that allows complex queries for finding friends, as well as a real-time news search. VK updated its features and design on April 2016.
- Messaging. VK Private Messages can be exchanged between groups of 1 to 30 people.
An email address can also be specified as the recipient. Each message may contain up to 10 attachments: Photos, Videos, Audio Files, Maps (an embedded map with a manually placed marker), and Documents.
VK users can post on their profile walls, each post may contain up to 10 attachments – media files, maps, and documents (see above).
User mentions and hashtags are supported. In case of multiple photo-attachments the previews are automatically scaled and arranged in a magazine-style layout. The news feed can be switched between all news (default) and most interesting modes.
The site features a news-recommendation engine, global real-time search and individual search for posts and comments on specific users' walls.
- Communities. VK features three types of communities. Groups are better suited for decentralised vk sever безплатно (discussion-boards, wiki-style articles, editable by all members, etc.).
Public pages is a news feed orientated broadcasting tool for celebrities and businesses. The two types are largely interchangeable, the main difference being in the default settings. The third type of community is called Events, which are used for organizing concerts and vk sever безплатно in an appropriate way.
- Like buttons. VK like buttons for posts, comments, media and external sites operate in a different way from Facebook.
Liked content doesn't get automatically pushed to the user's wall, but is saved in the private Favorites section instead. The user has to press a second 'share with friends' button to share an item vk sever безплатно their wall or send it via private message to a friend.
- Privacy. Users can control the availability of their content within the network vk sever безплатно on the Internet. Blanket and granular privacy settings are available for pages and individual content.
- Synchronization with vk sever безплатно social networks.
Any news published on the VK wall will appear on Facebook or Twitter. Certain news may not published by clicking on the logo next to the "Send" button. Editing post in VK does not change the post in Facebook or Twitter and vice versa. However, removing the news in VK will remove it from other social networks.
- SMS service. Russian users can receive and reply to a private messages or leave a comments for community news using SMS.
- Music. Users have access to the audio files uploaded by other users.
In addition, users are able to upload the audio files themselves, create playlists and share audios with others by attaching to vk sever безплатно and wall posts. The uploaded audio files cannot violate copyright laws.
As of May 2017, according to Alexa Internet ranking, VK is one of the most visited websites in some Eurasian countries.
As of October 2016 the site is available in 83 languages, while advertisements are only shown in the Russian and Ukrainian versions. Russian-speaking users can choose between the standard Russian version and two extras: a Soviet version and a Pre-Revolutionary version.
Other than language tweaks (e.g. telegrams for messages and comrades for friends), these versions contain other easter eggs. For example, all private messages in the Soviet version have a stamp saying 'passed server censorship'.
The pre-revolutionary version uses old-style Russian orthography. Both extra vk sever безплатно are also ad-free.
Promotional use by bands and musicians
Musicians that use VK for promotion often upload their own tracks to their official VK pages. Notable examples include the international celebrities like Tiësto,Shakira,Paul van Dyk,The Prodigy,Dan Balan,Limp Bizkit,Eros Ramazzotti,Marilyn Manson,Moby, and The Offspring.
Issues and controversies
In 2008, the leading Russian television channel RTR sued VKontakte (then VK) over unlicensed copies of two of its films which had been uploaded by VK users.
In 2010, this dispute was settled by the Russian Supreme Arbitration Court in favour of the social network. The court vk sever безплатно that VK is not responsible for its users’ copyright violations, taking into account that both parties agreed with the technical possibility to identify the user who posted illegal content and who, consequently, must incur the liability. Another ruling early in 2012 went partially in favor of Gala Records (now Warner Music Vk sever безплатно, a recording studio, when the same court ordered VK to pay $7000 for not being active enough in regard to copyrighted materials.
Efforts against copyright infringement
VK is DMCA-compliant and offers a content removal tool for copyright holders.[not in citation given] Large-scale copyright holders may gain access to vk sever безплатно content removal tools.
Since 2010, VK has also entered several partnerships with legal content providers such as television networks and streaming providers. Most notably, the Video on Demand provider IVI.ru that has secured vk sever безплатно rights with all of Hollywood majors in 2012. These partnerships allow providers to remove vk sever безплатно content from VK and substitute it with legal embedded copies from the provider's site. This legal content can be either ad-sponsored, subscription based, vk sever безплатно free, depending on the provider's choices.
VK does not display its own advertising in the site's music or video sections, nor in the videos themselves. On October 2013, VKontakte vk sever безплатно cleared of copyright infringement charges by a court in Saint Petersburg. The judge ruled that the social network is not responsible for the content uploaded by its users.
In November 2014, the head of The Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media, Maxim Ksenzov, said that Vkontakte will complete the process of legalization of the content at the beginning of 2015.
At that time (November, 2014), negotiations between major labels companies and the social network Vkontakte were ongoing.
DDoS attacks on sites
Because the social network is the one most popular and highloaded sites in runet, its visits can be used to make DDoS attacks on smaller sites.
As a countermeasure, antigate was detecting whether iframe was loaded from VK and if it were antigate had redirected request to xHamster, a well-known porn site. VK needed to cease the attack due to the site's use by children. VK tried to use XMLHttpRequest to solve this problem, but had forgotten about the same-origin policy.
They succeeded in stopping the attack, though there were many ways to solve the problem with redirect[original research?].
On May 24, 2013, it was reported in the media that the site had been mistakenly put on a list of websites banned by the Russian government.
Some critics have accused vk sever безплатно blacklist of being simply the latest in a series of suspicious incidents to have happened to the website in vk sever безплатно months, as the Russian government look to increase their stake in, and control of the site.
On November 18, 2013, following an order from the Court of Rome, VK was blocked in Italy after a complaint from Medusa Film stating that it was hosting an illegal copy of one of its films. However, as of April 2015, the site has been reopened for Italian users and its mobile app is available on both App Store and Google Play.
Founder Pavel Durov's dismissal
Founder Pavel Durov was dismissed as CEO in April 2014 after he had failed to retract a (according to himself) prank April fools letter of resignation. Durov then claimed the company vk sever безплатно been effectively taken over by Vladimir Putin's allies and suggested his ousting was the result of his refusal to hand over personal details of users to the Russian Federal Security Service and his refusal to shut down a VK group dedicated to anti-corruption activist Alexei Navalny.
In January 2016, China banned VKontakte, accusing that it was manipulating web content and cooperating with the Kremlin.
According to Russia's media watchdog, the network estimates around 300,000 users based in China. As of February 14, 2018, China authorities unblocked VKontakte and it was fully accessible in the country.
- ^"Mail.ru Group Financial Statements 2016"(PDF).
Mail.ru. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- ^"vk.com Traffic Statistics". Alexa Internet. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- ^"Каталог пользователей ВКонтакте". VK.com. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- ^"• Social gaming: revenue in Russia 2010-2013 | Statistic".
Statista.com. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- ^"List vk sever безплатно VK users". Yk.com. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- ^"vk.com Site Traffic Statistics". Alexa Internet.
Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- ^"Vk.com Traffic Statistics". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- ^"Website Ranking". SimilarWeb. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- ^"Lev Leviev sells Russian social network stake". Globes. 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- ^ (in Russian). Vedomosti.
2008-02-29. Retrieved 2011-04-16.
- ^"Exercise of Option". Mail.ru Group. 2011-07-14. Archived from the original on 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- ^"Vkontakte.ru shareholder structure unveiled". East-West Digital News.
2011-08-06. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- ^"Shareholder Mail.ru Group yields control to founder". ewdn.com. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- ^Bowker, John (29 May 2012).
"Russia's VKontakte delays IPO after Facebook debacle". Moscow: Reuters. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- ^"The richest Israelis got NIS 10 billion richer in 2013".
Haaretz.com. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- ^"UCP closes deal to buy 48% of Vkontakte from Mirilashvili, Leviev", interfax
- ^Maria Kiselyova. "Usmanov tightens hold on Russian social net VKontakte as founder sells stake". The West Australian (Reuters). Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- ^Olga Razumovskaya.
"Mail.Ru Secures Control of VKontakte". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- ^"No joke as 'Russian Facebook' founder resigns amid dispute (Update)". Published April 1, 2014. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
Pavel Durov Resigns As Head Of Russian Social Network VK.com, Ukraine Conflict Was The Tipping Point.
Published April 1, 2014. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- ^Going, going, gone - Pavel Durov vk sever безплатно VK. Rusbase. Published April 2, 2014. No update time given. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
Founder of Social Network VK Pavel Durov Says Resignation as CEO was April Fools' Prank.
The Moscow Times. Published at midnight Moscow Time (MST) on April 4, 2014. Last vk sever безплатно at 7:26 MST. Retrieved February vk sever безплатно, 2016.
- ^ abcdef"Vkontakte Founder Pavel Durov Learns He's Been Fired Through Media | Business". The Moscow Times. 2014-04-22. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- ^ ab"Durov, Out For Good From VK.com, Plans A Mobile Social Network Outside Russia", TechCrunch, 22 April 2014.
- ^ abcde"Pavel Durov left Russia after being pushed out".
Archived from the original on April 24, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- ^ ab"Subscribe to read". ft.com. Vk sever безплатно 1 February 2017.
- ^"Russia's Mail.Ru vk sever безплатно remaining stake in VKontakte vk sever безплатно $1.5 bln".
Reuters. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- ^ abUkraine's Poroshenko to block Russian social networks, BBC News (16 May 2017)
- ^Poroshenko, Petro (May 15, 2017).
"УКАЗ ПРЕЗИДЕНТА УКРАЇНИ №133/2017: Vk sever безплатно рішення Ради національної безпеки і оборони України від 28 квітня 2017 року "Про застосування персональних спеціальних економічних vk sever безплатно інших обмежувальних заходів (санкцій)"" [DECREE OF THE PRESIDENT OF UKRAINE №133 / 2017: On the decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine dated April 28, 2017 "On the application of personal special economic and other restrictive measures (sanctions)"] (in Ukrainian).
President of Ukraine. Retrieved March 13, 2018.
- ^"Додаток 2 до рішення Ради національної безпеки і оборони України від «28» квітня 2017 року «Про застосування персональних спеціальних економічних та інших обмежувальних заходів (санкцій)» ЮРИДИЧНІ ОСОБИ, до яких застосовуються обмежувальні vk sever безплатно (санкції)" [Annex 2 to the Decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine dated April 28, 2017 "On the Application of Personal special economic and other restrictive measures (sanctions) "Legal Entities under Restrictive Measures (Sanctions)"] (PDF) (in Ukrainian).
President of Ukraine. April 28, 2017. p. 185-6 (#422 mail.ru Group), 186-7 (#423 ТОВ «Вконтакте» (VKontakte)), 187-8 (#424 ТОВ «В Контакті» vk sever безплатно Kontakte)) & 189 (#425 mail.ru Ukraine).
This is a prohibition of Internet Service Providers (ISP) to provide access to the internet service «Mail.ru» (www.mail.ru) and social-oriented resources «Vkontakte» (www.vk.com) and «Odnoklassniki» (www. ok). Retrieved March 13, 2018.
- ^https://rsf.org/en/news/rsf-urges-ukraine-scrap-ban-russian-social-media-sites%7C[permanent dead link] RSF | May 23, 2017
- ^Russia's VKontakte closes office in Kyiv, UNIAN (17 June 2017)
- ^"VK.com New Interface, Design, Looks & Tips".
- ^Supported are the formats: doc, docx, xls, xlsx, pptpptx, rtf, pdf, png, jpg, gif, psd, mp3, djvu, fb2, vk sever безплатно and archives containing these formats. Executable files and files over 200 Mb are not allowed.Video chat vk sever безплатно also available (for users who allow incoming calls ) since 2012.
- ^"Types of community pages".
vk.com. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- ^"Vkontakte Music 2.0". vk.com.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Russia". Alexa.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Belarus". Alexa.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Kazakhstan". Vk sever безплатно. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Estonia". Alexa.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Kyrgyzstan".
Alexa.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Moldova". Alexa.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Ukraine".
Alexa.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"Alexa - top sites in Latvia". Alexa.com. Retrieved 2017-05-31.
- ^"DJ Tiesto's official page on VK.com". Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- ^"Shakira's official page on VK.com". Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- ^"Paul Van Dyk's official page on VK.com".
Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- ^"The Prodigy official page on VK.com". Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- ^"Dan Balan's official page on VK.com". Archived from the original on 14 October 2012. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
Archived from the original on October 31, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- ^"Wall". vk.com. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- ^"Eros Ramazzotti's official page on VK.com". Retrieved 10 Vk sever безплатно 2015.
- ^"Marilyn Manson's official page on VK.com".
Vk sever безплатно 10 October 2015.
- ^"Moby's official page on VK.com". Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- ^"The Offspring official page on VK.com". Retrieved 10 October 2015.
Most vk sever безплатно social networking site as of 8 November 2015